The Story Grid
Podcast by Shawn Coyne and Tim Grahl
and a 5 Video series by Shawn Coyne ~ also follow the blog and resources here https://storygrid.com/resources/
Shelly Lowenkopf, Nationally Renowned Book Editor, talks about how to use important details when writing fiction.
Coursera Creative Writing Specialization
Offered by Wesleyan University
The Writing Coach Podcast
Kevin T Johns interviews professional editors, coaches, and mentors to help writers create their art. http://www.kevintjohns.com/thewritingcoach/
Writing The Perfect Scene
(the snowflake method) http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/writing-the-perfect-scene/
Showing vs. Telling in Your Writing
Improve your writing: http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor
Helping Writers Become Authors with K.M. Weiland
How To Publish:
Think like a publisher- know how
The Creative Penn with Joanna
A Newbie’s Guide to Publishing
J A Konrath http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/ Some real discussions and great information shared – get the real story about publishing news.
Stinky Ink Printer’s Guide:
by Stinkyink.com (A family-owned business since 2002) A Complete Guide To Publishing Your Own Book
Amazon Book Ads FREE Course
Free 5 day course! Sell more books with Amazon Ads by Dave Chesson
Lots more information on the Kindlepreneur website – check it out! Book Marketing 101
Books Go Social
Various free resources and affordable marketing services
SELF-e via Library Journal
Place your eBooks into libraries. https://selfe.librariescreate.com/self-e/
Where Writers Meet Readers
A Self-Publisher’s Guide to Metadata for Books via Mediashift
The Ultimate Guide to Book Marketing
Real-life stories about publishing experiences of other authors, ~ Places to list your work ~ Interact with other writers and readers ~ Learn more about books, marketing, and lesson’s shared by other author’s experiences
Check out these book friendly places you should join:
Goodreads Author Program
Use Goodreads to promote yourself and your books www.goodreads.com/author/program Are you an author or a publisher? Gain access to a massive audience of more than 12 million book lovers. Goodreads is a great place to promote your books.
Communities offering great resources & support:
Welcome to the top-ranking, nuclear-powered death star of a blog: Yes, being in the presence of this site can be somewhat intimidating. With nearly 4000 blog posts and over 50,000 comments, we can understand that you might not know where to start. Don’t worry, we’re here to help.
Offers Free courses www.coursera.org/
Become a Life-Learner and sign up for a course
A sample of Recommended Courses for Indie Authors:
- Coursera.org/specializations/creative-writing at Wesleyan
- Coursera.org/viral-marketing University Pennsylvania
IWP University of Iowa International Writing Program
EFA (Editorial Freelancers Association)
The EFA hosts webinars and online courses designed for editorial/publishing freelancers located anywhere in the world. All courses are open to members and nonmembers and require advance registration. Members enjoy reduced tuition. We keep our course prices as low as possible to merely break even with the costs of providing education.
EFA offers a variety of convenient general resources to its members and the public. Its newsletter, The Freelancer, is available both in print and online to members only.
- The EFA booklets are written by experts in the field and for publishing professionals.
- A selection of archived articles on freelancing offer valuable and timeless tips on the trade.
- The editorial rate chart is the product of a survey of EFA members and industry references.
- The Code of Fair Practice, which defines ethical standards and contract guidelines, was developed by the Freelance Editorial Association, which merged with EFA in 2000.
- The sample contract and invoice included as appendices to the Code of Fair Practice are especially valuable to beginning freelancers.
- Suggested guidelines for editorial testing.
- An extensive list of online references and resources is updated over time.
Connect – Learn – Improve – Publish Our online writing workshops allow you to study what you want with some of today’s best authors https://litreactor.com/classes/upcoming
Learn about IPR rights – Important for all authors
Link to site listing publishing terms: iprlicense.com/KnowYourRights/Glossary
Open Colleges Australia’s leading online educator
The place where you can get free eBooks and textbooks for many subjects including:
- marketing and SEO Tips
Social Media Communities:
Please note: G+ will be changing, possibly ending, August 2019. Some of these groups may be moving to a new venue like MeWe – but for now, you can still join. Watch for updates.
- Writer’s Discussion Group – A Google + Community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106134988944938026164
- Writing Resources Group – A Google + Community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116514944403874825632
Use Your Linked In Account
Get the most from your professional network and join one of the many Author’s groups at http://www.linkedin.com/
Facebook has become one of the most successful social media sites for Indie Authors. Let’s face it~ it’s where everyone hangs out, all kinds of profiles who make great readers.
There are many FaceBook groups for authors.
Set up your author profile page and search for writer’s groups, author groups, book review groups, book marketing groups, book promotion groups – Some will be public, some private and you will have to request to join. When on any social media be kind, stay away from politics or hot topics, and support other authors. We’re in this together.
Here are a few:
Some suggested groups are private, all you have to do is ask to join and adhere to the rules.
Recommended books to read about writing & self-publishing:
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print by Renni Browne & Dave King
- The Essential Guide to Writing A Novel by James Thayer
- On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- Lets Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, and Why You Should 3rd edition (Let’s Get Publishing Book One) by David Gaughran
- What’s Your Book? A Step-By-Step Guide To Get You From Inspiration To Published Author by Brooke Warner
- The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know by Shawn Coyne
- Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story by K. M. Weiland