Free for anyone who wants to continue learning. Remain curious.
There are slews of free courses out there that can help you advance your writing skills, as well as enhance other subjects that interest you, and can help deepen your writing. They are MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) and most are available to you for free from top universities and colleges. There are many platforms used to deliver these online classes to you, some may be familiar to you:
Many more offerings are available . . . additional sources and platforms are listed at the end of this post. Curious? then check them out.
Offerings you might want to check
MOOC (massive open online course):
Academic Earth – privately owned
Khan Academy – non-profit
Coursera – venture capital financed
Udacity – venture capital financed
edX – non-profit created by MIT and Harvard
iversity – mixed (free and paid) European based
FutureLearn -work with leading universities and organizations around the world to offer our learners relevant, high-quality courses across a huge range of topics. In some instances, we work with partners to sponsor courses, so that all learners can receive a free certificate and access for as long as it’s on FutureLearn.
Other platforms in USA: Stanford Online, Canvas Network, Kadenze, POLHN
Platforms used in other countries: UK platform: Future Learn Australia platform: Open2Study, Open Learning India: NPTEL, WizTQ France: Open Classroom Finland: Eliademy
OCW (Open Course Ware) platforms:
There are also Open Course Ware providers of course lessons created at universities and published for free via the Internet. Here are some universities that share the OCW concepts and may have their own educational streams (some on YouTube) as well as using existing platforms cited above.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT Open Courseware
- Carnegie Mellon University CarnegieMellonU
- University of California, Berkeley UCBerkeley
- Stanford University Stanford
- Princeton University Princeton Academics
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Michigan University of Michigan | Free Online Courses
- Harvard University
- Yale University – Yale Courses
- Johns Hopkins University John Hopkins
- University of California, Irvine
- Duke Duke Center for Instructional Technology